some how as a child I always thought advice was a fusion of ADD+ VICE. But later the dictionary educated me to discover that —
An advice is an opinion or a suggestion about what someone should do… like PGWodehouse’s people’s people want People to marry People’s people that People don’t like. I mean at the end of the day, opinions are like the aboral end, everyone has one. But one great sharing I had from my father was,
Listen… take advice… he called it data collection, accept only what gels with your fundamental decision and follow it. The issue according to him, is when we say take advice, we assume that we are asking for a command to obey such that it would render our responsibility minimum.
This basic learning has worked wonderfully well for me. There is value system that he handed me and believe me that has kept me going. Papa called it the four agreements with himself… though a little late, I applied it to my life.
- Be impeccable with your words
- Don’t take anything personally
- Don’t make make assumptions
- Always do your best.
Another person who handed me value system other than my parents was my grandmother to her dignity was…
- The moment when we realize that the person we cared for has nothing intellectually or spiritually to offer but a headache.
- The moment we realize god has greater plans for us that does not involve crying at night or listening the soulful songs of Lata mangeshkar.
- The moment we stop comparing ourselves to others because it undermines our worth.
- The moment we live our dreams not because of what it will prove or get you, because that is all you want to do. People’s opinions don’t matter.
- The moment we realize that no one is our enemy except ourselves.
- The moment we realize that we can have everything we want in life. However it takes timing, the right heart, the right actions, the right passion and a willingness to risk it all. If it is not yours because you really didn’t want it, need it or God prevent it?
- The moment we realize the ghost of our ancestors stood between us, and the person we love. They really don’t want us to muck up the family line with someone that acts anything less than honourable
- The moment we realizing that happiness were never about getting a person, they are only helpmates towards achieving our life mission.
- The moment we believe that love is not about losing or winning, it is just a few moments in time followed by an eternity of situations to grow from.
- The moment we realize that we are always the right person and only ignorant people walk away from greatness.
These small inputs have connected the dots within me, and just helped me move on. At the end of the day the best ever advice I received, if you can look at the mirror and face yourself despite what you have then screw the world.