I am looking at this perch used by sentry of the building, he has made it very comfortable, it is like his personal living room, untidy, comfortable, when he is not running errands or talking to the watchmen of the other buildings he is sitting in this niche viewing the clipping on his Smartphone until the next courier boy turns up.
There was a time when private banks like HDFC, or ICICI did not have chairs for their staff, since they had to be on their feet to be alert. One would have thought the same about security guard, sentry or the watchman whatever name we choose call him. Look at any sentry/watchman/security service Bir-Bahadur’s workplace it is a general dump yard, with the off duty person lounging, not mention flirt in and out domestic help, gossiping vendors and of course the curt delivery guys.
Yet in her book “Quiet” Susan Cain says “Open-plan offices have been found to reduce productivity and impair memory. They’re associated with high staff turnover. They make people sick, hostile, unmotivated, and insecure.”
― Susan Cain, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking
Studies have showed that open spaces are distracting, and productivity is low, while stress levels are high. The same goes for grey monotonous work station walls. The privacy factor goes down in both cases. Personalizing the work space empowers the workers as it gives them a sense of ownership, and control that buffers the negative effect of lack of privacy. Researchers have proved that people with low privacy in their work space reported high levels of emotional exhaustion. Since consciously or subconsciously we take comfort from the items that surround us at work, keepsakes of those that inspire us, helps us to maintain emotional energy in the face of stress.
Key factors when personalizing the work space.
- The company’s desk decoration policy.
- Have attractive version of office accessories, like pen holders, staplers etc which will be useful and add to personal aesthetics.
- Choosing a colour scheme for your stationary and office equipment
- Framed business certificates or awards, this helps to reinforce your credibility and is pretty professional looking.
- Adequate lighting, unless there is a bright window it is essential to add a desk lamp that could enhance both the aesthetics and lighting of the workspace.
- Of course potted plants like orchids or fern is the quickest way to turn a hostile office space into a productive stress-free sanctuary.